Here are some nice remarks that people who have heard us have made. Contributions to
this list are welcome: just
- A Long-Lost Fan in Connecticut in a March, 2015 change-of-address email
- "...I just received a postcard from you that was mailed to my old address. I was
very happy to hear that you are still performing, as I loved your perfect harmonies and
clever lyrics when you appeared in Stamford... We would love to see you perform again
when you return to our...area."
- Two Rhode Island Fans, in a November, 2009 email
- "...I have to say that I think technically your voices are perfect but it is also
the way you are sensitive and interactive with each other makes me feel I've arrived at
the pearly gates!"
- Mike Joyce, Washington Post, 18 March 2007
- By far the most polished and affecting vocal blend was produced by
the Short Sisters, a group that includes Kate Seeger, niece of Pete, Peggy
and Mike. (Keeping track of family names and ties could give Tolstoy a
headache.) The ensemble's splendid harmonies more than compensated for a
few microphone glitches during the concert, and like their elders, the
women conveyed abiding affection for songs that possess lasting power and
- Walter McKenzie, White Springs Folk Club 2/26/06
- "This audience, sprinkled with other musicians, performers and with
many long time "veterans" of the Florida Folk Festival, had high
expectations and the Short Sisters surpassed them with their exuberant
performance, full of crystal clarity and perfect harmony. This group's
knowledge and reverence for the tradition and heritage behind many of the
songs they sing adds a dimension to their performance that is all to rare
a treat on today's music scene. On top of that, their original
compositions are of a high quality and similar style that makes them
comfortable fit in a set list full of classics. The Short Sisters drew
the audience into their performance with style, grace and a sense of fun
that left us all smiling, laughing, and yes, even singing, all for the
pure joy of it!"
- Victor K. Heyman, Vic's Music Corner:
- ". . .their harmonies are extraordinary, especially
on rounds and a capella numbers. They convey
good humor and sensitivity to their music and
audiences. And the music comes from everywhere: traditional, Tom Gala,
Peggy Seeger and Ewan MacColl, Kim Wallach, Bernice Johnson Reagon,
Stan Rogers and many more....The combination
of traditional, self-written and selection of other
songwriters works . . . a first class show."
- Bob Blackman, Off the Beaten Track, Singout Vol. 40 #3 95-96:
- "I first heard the Short Sisters on a rainy Saturday
morning at the 1990 Old Songs Festival in
New York. I still remember how their wonderful
harmonies and delightful songs completely erased
the weather-related gloom I felt."
- KF, Andy's Front Hall Catalog reviews "Live from Four
- "Wildly diverse selection of folksongs. . .something
here for everyone. . .superb harmonizing. . .by turns
entertaining, amusing or moving or all at once. . .
and it's due to the creativity, personality and
wonderful voices of the Short Sisters."
- Stavros Moschopoulos, FAO Casa Gazette
- "Do you like harmoniously stunning harmonies and wonderfully unusual rounds that twist the right side of the brain while entertaining the left side? Then you need to get a good dose of the Short Sisters.. These three women together have the vocal power and beauty of a choir. A true MUST!!!"
- Linda Lisenbarth, The Listening Series, Long Island Traditional Music Association
- "I begged for this group ever since I listened to their tape. The harmonies and rounds are fantastic. The real test is whether my two sons (ages 9 and 5) will ho-hum or ask to play a tape again. Well, The Short Sisters tapes are awarded a "two sons up". If asked and bribed my sons can even sing their favorite song Blizzard of Lies...I promise you an evening of singing traditional tunes and joyful listening to close harmonies."
- Max Ferguson, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
- "Their recordings are packed with great musical moments, and I'll be pleased to make frequent use of them on my radio program."
- Dick Pleasants, WGBH Boston:
- "Their harmonies are magnificent, their choice of material is refreshing, and I think you'll enjoy listening to these three short but powerful singers...It's wonderful when friends can make good music together."
Back to the Short Sisters homepage